4/30/13

Tip #89 - Word Document Map


100 Computer Tips in 100 Days

Tip #89 - Word Document Map


In the last tip we talked about using Styles in a document to quickly and consistently format a document. Another reason for using styles is so that you can view the Document Map for easier navigation and rearrangement of your document. My document for this blog would have been tedious to navigate if I didn't use the Document Map.

The Document Map for a Microsoft Word document
By applying Heading 1, 2 and 3 styles to my document, a hierarchical map was developed that I can display by clicking on the View tab, Show group, Navigation Pane. A pane appears on the left side of the screen that shows you the first few words using the paragraph style. I can click on the headings to navigate to that part of the document.

Beginning with the 2010 version of Word, in addition to navigation, I can move whole sections of the document around by dragging the headings up and down in the Document Map. No selecting, cutting and pasting, just drag the heading and release the mouse button. Because my title style included the numbering feature, my tips were automatically renumbered. This is important information for attorneys, engineers, architects and anyone else that uses numbered paragraphs.

Happy Computing!

View Diane's Webpage for more tips. 




No comments:

Post a Comment